Vaginal odor can be embarrassing. It’s normal for vagina to smell a bit different. This is caused by the bacteria thriving in it. If their number starts to grow uncontrollably, it will smell like a rotten fish. After exercising, your sweat will cause it to emit strong musky smell. When you’re menstruating, it will have flinty-iron odor.
If the fishy odor persists and it’s accompanied with redness, irritation and itchiness, you might need to alleviate it and use some of the tested and proven at home remedies for vaginal odor.
At home remedies for vaginal odor – How to get rid of vaginal odor naturally
It’s a beneficial herb for women. Fenugreek balances hormone levels and improves your immune system. In this way, it reduces bacterial infection, thereby, alleviating vaginal odor.
- Use fenugreek seeds
- Soak them to a glass of warm water
- Keep it overnight
- Drink it the following morning. It must be taken on an empty stomach to make it more effective.
Alternatively, you may use the seeds and add them to your tea.
- Crush the seeds
- Add the crushed seeds to a cup of water
- Boil the solution for a few minutes
- Add other herbs that you want
- Strain the mixture
- Drink it in the morning
During the first day, it’s ideal to try 1 to 2 seeds. This will help you know whether you’re allergic to fenugreek or not. You may increase the number of seeds once your body has already tolerated them.
2. White vinegar
Another home remedy for vaginal odor is the use of white vinegar. It reduces that bad vaginal smell. What’s great about it is that it can be easily found in your kitchen.
- Add ½ cup of vinegar to your bath water
- Put a pinch of salt
- Soak your genital area or wash it with that solution
- Rinse it up with clean lukewarm water
The acidity of vinegar normalizes the pH of your vagina, thereby, reducing its foul odor.
Perform this procedure once or twice a day, a few times a week to achieve the better results.
3. Baking soda
Although baking soda is basic, it can still help in regulating the pH of your vagina in order for the fishy odor to go away.
- Dissolve 1 tablespoon of it in a warm water
- Drink it in the morning when you haven’t eaten anything yet.
- Do it every day, for a few days.
On the other hand, you may add the baking soda to 1 gallon of warm water. Then, soak your genital area in it or wash it with such mixture.
It has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, making it a beneficial vaginal remedy.
- Boil the leaves of neem in water for a few minutes
- Allow it to cool down first
- Strain it
- Wash your genital area using the strained solution
- Do this twice a day
5. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial and antiseptic properties which is useful for fighting vaginal odor. Simple bath with this vinegar would eliminate your problem. It will also help to restore your normal vaginal flora.
- Add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar in the bath water.
- Relax and soak yourself in it about 30 minutes.
- This remedy will also help to get rid of yeast infection.
Yogurt is rich in good bacteria which helps with yeast infection and bad odor. It also restores the normal vaginal pH level.
- Eat 1-2 cups of plain, unsweetened yogurt daily or soak a tampon in the plain yogurt and insert it into body. Leave it there for couple of hours.
- Rinse the area after removing your tampon.
7. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has anti-fungal and antiseptic properties. This will help to get rid of the unpleasant vaginal smell.
- Mix 3 drops of tea tree oil with 1 cup of water.
- Rinse the affected area with this mixture. Use it daily or when needed.
Garlic contains antibacterial and anti fungal properties which are great for treating vaginal infections and bad odor.
- Eat raw or cooked garlic daily. Raw garlic has more medicinal benefits than cooked garlic.
- 1-2 cloves of garlic daily should take care of your vaginal problem. Garlic may upset your empty stomach. If that happens, try to eat a little before taking raw garlic.
Another alternative is to take garlic supplements. Follow the dosage on the label.
9. Citrus fruits
Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C which helps to boost the immune system and also remove harmful toxins from your body. Stronger immune system helps to fight the odor causing bacteria faster. These fruits are also great treating urinary tract infection.
- Eat fresh oranges, grapes, pineapples daily.
- Squeeze fresh lemon or lime into your water and drink it daily.
- Eat fresh cranberries or drink cranberry juice (unsweetened)
10. Indian gooseberry (amla)
Indian gooseberry is known as an organic cleanser and blood purifier. It helps to prevent vaginal infections such as leucorrhoea (thick vaginal discharge).
- Eat fresh gooseberries daily or find them in other forms (pickled, powder, juice).
11. Other remedies
Avoid sugary foods and drinks. Sugar stimulates yeast production. It elevates sugar levels in your urine, giving the yeast more food.
Drink plenty of water. Water flushes down toxins and bacteria.
Wear cotton underwear. Cotton underwear is breathable and absorb moisture which keeps you dry. Other synthetic fabrics hold moisture close to your skin causing yeast infection.
Avoid scented soaps, baths, and sprays. Scented perfumes may be irritating and increase the risk of yeast infection.
Practice good hygiene. Daily showers will not only help you smelling fresh, it also helps to prevent yeast infections. Make sure you will dry yourself after the shower to keep the moisture away.
Avoid tight clothes. Tight clothes may cause the heat and moisture to build up causing yeast to grow.
These natural remedies for vaginal odor have been tried and tested by many. However, if the problem persists, you should consult with your gynecologist.